Wednesday, May 3, 2006

This afternoon, around 2, I was sitting at my desk and I got a sharp pain in my chest. It was really nasty. Then, what felt like a large rubber band wrapped around my chest, constricting my breathing. As the tightness grew, so did the pain. Finally it was so excruciating that I doubled over at my desk. I was incredibly frightened and couldn't help but think I was having a heart attack. So, I get up very slowly and walk around. Pain doesn't go away. Still can't breathe without tightness. I relax, do breathing exercises and stretch... pain doesn't go away. I walk over to Cristen and tell her I'm going to the hospital and why... tell her not to call 911 because I'm sure I'm fine. It was such a sharp, intense pain that it made me cry. So, I called Mike and he took me to urgent care. They gave me oxygen and an EKG. No heart attack. Turns out I have what's called costochondritis.... which is an inflammation of the chest wall between the rib cage and the breastbone, the symptoms of which mimic a heart attack. I guess, because I'm female AND I have scoliosis, I will be prone to this kind of inflammation. Suck. This means I can have random fake heart attacks just whenever I sleep, sit or move wrong. On the up side, though, I'm not dead.

2 comment(s):

Ken said...

Yuck. That's scary. Well, glad you are generally OK.

David said...

Yay! Not dead!