Saturday, June 24, 2006

All through the summer Beaver Creek Village is host to a series of culinary events where people can wander the village from stall to stall and demo to demo. They have world famous chefs showing you how to properly sear a steak and well known brand names giving away free samples. This weekend kicked it off and, I have to confess, I'm hooked. Completely hooked. Food sampling is a blast. We started off TABLEAU, which many of you will recognize as one of the restaurants in the Wynn. Chef Mark LoRusso was preparing samples of crab cakes with summer corn salad. It was okay. Crab cakes were a little salty... corn salad was yummy but not anything that I'd go wow over. Then we headed over to the SW Steakhouse tent... also from Wynn. Seared, sliced steak with asparagus and carrots. Definitely worth trying. I haven't even dared look to see what their menu prices are but I watched the chef (Chef David Walzog) do a demo on how to prepare the steak and I totally want him to cook for me next time I'm in Vegas. He's nifty. We then tried out some local food... Grouse Mountain Grill has the BEST seared scallops I've ever had. Michael nearly swooned. They were served on asparagus cooked with prosciutto. We had a slice of the cowboy pizza from the Blue Moose and then some frozen hot chocolate. Then I found the yummiest of the yummy stuff there. A steakhouse from New York, that I of course can't remember the name of, was serving strawberries marinated in riesling and served with mint and sorbet. Turns out is was a riesling sorbet. Oh. My. God. I mean, strawberries and riesling are about my favorite things in the world... it never occurred to me to marinate the strawberries IN the riesling!

After all of that we came home and had a nap. Naps are good. Now I'm headed off to Glenwood for a little while. Doesn't get dark here until after 9 so I still have lots of time to play!

1 comment(s):

Ken said...

Wow. That does sound like fun. I'll have to check the prices of the Wynn Steakhouse.